Thursday, April 25, 2013

No Strings Attached


I have been debating about getting a pet - just because it is nice to have someone around. Someone who sort of listens to you maybe. Someone who is grateful that you have fed them or cuddled them. Someone who loves you unconditionally and you can boss around But fortunately common sense prevailed over my inflated ego and instead of getting a dog or a cat , last year I  just put up a bird-feeder in the balcony.

Earlier in the year I did buy a fish tank, but unfortunately the fish died before we could even decide on a proper name for it. After flushing down fish twice and seeing my son mourning over it proved how incapable I was of taking care of another creature. That is when the bird feeder came into picture and my no-strings attached pet story began. Now I do have the satisfaction of nature visiting my house, and also the urge to nurture is satiated
by filling up the bird feeder from time to time. I love the conferencing birds, visiting me - Blue Jays and Sparrows and occasionally a hummingbird. The constant chirping, coming and going keeps me happy although the winter season was quiet without them.

Recently our neighbor got a cat - an outdoor cat named Booker. Now, officially the tag declares him to be the pet of my neighbor, but can anyone really "own" a cat? Unlike dogs, who are bonded by their loyalty to you, cats are self-willed. I always considered myself a dog lover what with the relationship being intensely involved with you providing care, entertainment and  exercise and getting  legendary loyalty in return. But that was before I was bogged down with the responsibilities that tag along any relationship.I have now become smarter and now  Booker has joined our guest house.

 I love that we have this no-strings attached relationship. He comes and goes as and when he wishes, brushing himself against my legs , a signal to caress and pet him. I feed him, pet him, hug him too, but that is where it all ends. The perfect pet - no need to worry about paying hefty pet insurance, or where he is wandering.

So here is my pet story - simple and convenient, satisfying my need for keeping a pet . I do realize that he goes to other houses too ( I should have guessed considering how fat he has become), but there is no jealousy, no possessiveness involved.What can be better than sharing your love for pet with others?
My appreciation of cats have definitely increased and I have come to admire the fierce independence of these beautiful feline animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...