Sunday, April 28, 2013

Choose to be polite

Smile - the universal language of friendship, of being approachable and  accessible. My job as such requires me to smile, and make people welcome and I have been doing that for past 11 years. I enjoy meeting people, people from all walks of life, people in different moods, in different stages of life. People who are kind and honest, people who spread cheer, and some of them become your friends for life.
For  years, my only source of social life , were these very strangers who had may be come to fill gas, get a slush or maybe a cup of coffee. Strangers who became close friends, long after the source that got us together was long gone. Their stories have inspired me, given me hope and at times broken my heart. I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to befriend and form lasting relations with them, for having shared laughter and day to day trivial or life changing tribulations.
Yet for every 99 good people, you come across someone who makes you wonder if it is all worth it. The odd rude, belligerent customer, who can throw you off guard. People with anger issues, people just born grumpy, some racists, some plain old unhappy souls.  I find negative energy is stronger and stays with you longer. I have had people who made me cry, people who have looked into my eyes and sworn words that cannot be written at me, people who have been sweet talkers with the intention to steal . And all the while you are supposed to be polite and smile as if the offensive behavior is their privilege, because the customer is always right.
Seriously, I cannot imagine being rude to strangers. Most of the people who are rude are dealing with their own personal issues and all they need is a trigger to vent it off. Dealing with people is very fulfilling, helping them, listening and maybe making their day in someway by lending them a ear or giving them a smile, but believe me it takes all your inner strength to not sneer at a teen with attitude who considers Facebook profile to be a valid piece of validity, or to a customer who tells you how to do your job.
But then those 99% of wonderful people make it all worthwhile to bear the burnt of the tortured souls, who spill their pain and virulent nature on strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...