Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Self-love



"I love myself and I am the best”. Is it easy for you to say this sentence with full conviction? Really believing every word of it? If so, congratulations as you are already on the path to success and happiness. Why is it so easy someone to believe that they are special and there is no one better than them and on the other hand take a lifetime for someone like me to believe that I am not bad?

Confidence and high self-esteem are the two crucial traits for success in life. Are these traits learned or are they inherent? I am not sure, but all I know that self-assurance is a much sought out trait. On the other hand the deeper you dig into yourself; the harsher you will judge yourself. We all know people, (I have two in my house), who are never wrong and then there are others who end up analyzing and judging all actions.

The struggle with self-doubt, to be conscious of our flaws does make us more human and better human beings. The flip side of believing that you are the best is feeling that no one can compare to you, as you  start to distance yourself from others. You are assuming that no one else is better than you and it gives a false sense of security. I would love to have that self-confidence, because the claws of nagging doubts gnaw on your soul, resulting in maybe jealousy or envy.

I wish I was like my son and could look into mirror and love myself. Isn’t that the ultimate purpose of all spiritual journeys – to be able to believe that you need no validation for your existence except your self-love?

People like me, have to consciously and consistently practice positive attitude. Being aware of all your thoughts is the first step in cultivating positive attitude. You can then deliberately choose to ponder on thoughts that will foster happiness and boost confidence. It is a journey which I do one day hope to complete. A journey where I am comfortable with being who I am - not the best -but just being me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...