Sunday, April 21, 2013

Of gardening and outsourcing.


Spring is here for sure. Cherry Blossoms have given way to fresh green leaves, shutting out the view of the river that was visible because of the bare leaves. Every store has their selection of annuals and perennials, all displayed enticing your hands to reach for your wallet and take some of the colours and beautify your homes.

For years now I have given into the temptation of having the picture perfect garden in my house. Every year, I go and buy some annuals and bulbs, herbs and maybe perennials with foolish optimism of a novice. Every year, I plant the flowers in the flowerbeds and bring home the collection of perfect blooms in the baskets smiling at the thought of bringing home some beauty. And every year after a couple of weeks all that is left are some wilted leaves dried up flowers. I have even tried planting some vegetables years ago, with similar results – a pathetic looking  cucumber or if I am lucky couple of sick looking tomatoes.

Talk about not having a green thumb. I do try my best, but I guess I am just not a good nurturer. Gardening is so much like parenting, involving nourishing, weeding and knowing when to prune or replant. I envy people who know instinctively how much to water, when to move the plants out in the sun and when to fertilize. I have given in to all the claims right from “hardy” plants to miracle fertilizers, but as yet have had no success. My only claim would be to have 5-6 strawberries (I am not inclined to discuss their quality or size) that my plant bore last year.

So this spring, I have let someone else take care of the garden. I can see that  my tenant has readied the flowerbed and planted some flowers too. I do hope to enjoy the beauty of my garden and my neighbours. Finally I understand the joys and wisdom of outsourcing and plan to stick to it till it is possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...