Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Art of Waiting

Patience is a trait extolled to help you lead a fulfilled life. Waiting is an art -  either you are gifted with the serenity to accept a situation as it is and not wait, or you are always jumping ahead and waiting for something to change.
I have seen some people wait in the queue for an hour without complaining, embracing the moment , and others who are impatient and are always in a rush. I am the second one. Waiting for someone or a news is the worst. Time plays a trick and slows down and every minute drags -oh how I hate waiting! It seems to me though that I am getting better with age, and learning to a certain extent  that every thing in nature needs time to ripen. If you rush in, you will end up with raw fruit or  a  bud that did not get time to bloom. or in extreme case the seed did not sprout (takes too much time and you have to water without seeing any results for days).
I realize on a certain level, that if I want to enjoy my weekend, I will have to work and wait for the 5 weekdays . Yes, however much I want I cannot rush in summer, or a full moon night or the flowers to bloom. It takes patience to learn to be patient - practice and learning from experience that rushing in is foolhardy and timing is everything.
Have you ever waited for a letter to arrive, or an important email or message? Have you ever waited for a loved one to return or your vacation to begin? Or simply waited for the water to boil?It is not easy - oh so not easy for someone like me.
I  appreciate people who are patient, who are in sync with present. Waiting can either be a form of suffering or a period of learning. It takes lot of courage to wait, lot of wisdom to accept that the right time is not here yet for change and to be happy where you are at the moment. It also makes life more fulfilled, because you are not living in the future, and are focused on the present moment.
Today technology has erased the need for waiting times to quite an extent. You are hungry, 2 minutes is the standard waiting time for a drive-thru, if you are missing someone takes seconds to call, want to watch movie, there are literally available to you at your fingertips. Which is all great, till you are faced with no skills for times when waiting becomes essential. Yes, even in these modern times the time lapse between what you want and when you get it,is possible and occurs from time to time.
One day maybe, one day I will learn to appreciate the virtue in waiting, but do I have the patience to wait for it ? I am not too sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...