Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Going on 13.....


Soon you will complete 12 years  and I am bracing myself to some more of the mood swings that seem to be a part of you ever since you turned 11 (or was it 1?). Being the youngest in the family comes with its perks, and like with everything else drawbacks.
I know there are days when you are absolutely certain that everybody in the family hates you (some of the drawbacks of being the youngest in the family), especially when your brother presses all the right buttons to trigger the yelling and shouting, and slips away nonchalantly saying I don’t know what’s wrong.
I have learnt to give generously from you  – give till you can give no more. Dear son, give only what is yours though (you know what I am talking about), sell stuff you think you  don’t need, only after you have taken our advice – please till you are like 50 at least.
I admire your commitment to friendship. I have seen you go to great lengths to take care of friends, seen you be genuinely happy when they succeed and keep their secrets too.
Your kind heart and loyalty towards family is something I really love. Holding grandpa’s hand every night for six months so he doesn’t feel lonely at night (considering he cannot talk), making tea for me or giving me blanket when I am cold – I am watching it all.
You surprise me when you give me a hug and say “mom you are pretty” – I know your dad told you to be “nice” to mom, especially considering all the “mom insults” you boys share in school and the terrible phase I had to patiently bear  (some of the “insults” I admit were pretty good ). I am so glad you are over that stage (?). I will always treasure our reading Tom Sawyer together – it was fun sharing one of my favorite books with you. I still feel I read and you listened more rather than the other way  round. Of course I know you will dispute this claim for ever.
I am really proud of your excellent work ethics, be it distributing newspapers, mowing neighbor’s lawns, making Youtube videos and now your Minecraft server. (I am sorry I doubted you and your buddy Jake). You make me want to try and work harder and better.
There are of course times when you make me want to pull my hair out in frustration – and I understand the reason (like you said it is puberty – hormonal changes and other stuff they taught you in school), yet we both battle along, building hopefully happy memories.  In the meantime I am patiently waiting for your mood swings to settle down….and hopefully someday we will both have “peace in our hearts”, to quote you and be calm and collected like the others in the family. But nay – that would be too boring. So be yourself, laugh like you do, throw some tantrums too (I am too used to the battles), and always believe that you are loved by your family and whatever you may think of your brother now – years from now I know you both will be best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...