Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Finding Faith

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Carl Sagan.

This is a question whose answer is still a mystery to scientists as well as philosophers.

This journey towards spirituality comes with a price - your logical mind. Whenever you look at a situation or a person, you can either react instinctively with your heart or process it with your head. The dilemma for someone like me, who is basically a rational person, is that the more I predispose towards the mystical world of unknown, my heart and instincts get powerful and of course my intellect disapproves and resists the loss of control.



Surrendering to the will of God/universe, demands a certain blind faith. It is definitely not easy for me. In my quest for trying to find the happy medium, between science and spirituality, I see myself getting more attracted towards Buddhism and Zen philosophies. The concept that someone up there in the heavens is controlling my destiny or if I displease Him/Her or bribe by fasting or offerings, things will get better, just does not fit with my notion of God. I would rather practice compassion and love and develop a keen sense of awareness with the universe than sit and read verses that I don’t understand.





I know there are many who take their rituals seriously, read the scriptures and fast and its good for them. Just be true to yourself. Faith works only when you truly believe in it. We are all different and each one of us has different sensibilities. The paths may be different but they all lead to the one goal of peace and emotional well being. So, follow the path that makes you happy and gives you peace and brings a smile to your face. You can only give to others what you have, so find a path that brings love and joy in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...