Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Alone Time

For the  longest time, I considered myself to be an outgoing individual,relishing in human companionship, an extrovert. Yet as I am discovering myself, I am realizing that there are signs  that the opposite might just be true.I detest  large gatherings, can barely make it through a wedding, and hardly have any acquaintances- most of the people I interact with outside of work are close friends- some closer than others, but nevertheless, people I trust. I am not part of any group, have never been, no parties, no gatherings, am even vary of going to temple when it is crowded, yet enjoy social interactions. This confusing aspect was resolved when I realized that the people I interacted with were all those whom I trusted, a few close friends scattered all over the world.

We are of course a bundle of contradictions - contradictions essential to balance our lives and that was one of the reasons it took me a long time to accept that I am an introvert .
 Introverts are not always engrossed in books - though they would prefer that rather than dealing with meaningless social engagements, but they are people who shy from limelight, prefer to shine in their own light.

It is not easy for people to understand the need of an introvert to spend time in solitude. enjoy the company of  friends.The struggle to fit into the expectations of society, forcing myself to fit into a group (no groups - cultural or otherwise) conflicted with what I truly desired - company of people I could just be myself.

Any introvert will tell you that society is not so kind if you don't fit into what  is normal and extroversion is generally considered to be normal. Introverts are private, individualistic, a little eccentric maybe, and don't be fooled by the boisterous behavior, the masks are ready for every occasion to hide behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...