Thursday, August 9, 2012

5 tips to getting ready for Back to School






It’s that time of the year again – days are getting shorter, can see some leaves already changing color and of course kids and parent all having started the countdown of going back to school. The shopping frenzy for back to school is only surpassed by Christmas shopping. I don’t know about others, but for me school means its packing lunches, keeping track of grades, and early nights!



Each year the school gives a list of supplies and although I haven’t seen the list yet, I know that this year I am doing things differently. This year, instead of blindly going to the store at the last minute (it always is the last weekend for us!), I am planning ahead.





1. Take stock of all the supplies that are in good condition from last year. Over the years, the stock of erasers, crayons and markers has added up to the extent of I no longer have place to store them. This year instead of buying another set of everything for them, we are going through all that we have in good usable condition. And believe it’s a lot!

2. Make your own list. Now that you have deleted some of the items from the school list, make your own list. Kids grow up fast, especially teens. I can’t believe that my son grew out of his new pants within a month!

3. Plan ahead for the fall and winter. Make a list of full-sleeve shirts, light jackets and of course shoes. My kids grow through 4-5 pairs of shoes through the year –doesn’t matter what brand I buy. But at the rate they are going up, it doesn’t make sense for me to buy more than what is necessary right now.

4. Wait for end of the season sale . I intend to buy not more than 3-4 shirts for my kids right now. I will wait for the end of season sale to buy the rest.

5. Buy good quality backpacks and lunch kits (preferably with sections ) and you don’t have to worry about it for the rest of the year.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...