Sunday, January 24, 2016

Trigger happy

There are lives - different lives around the world. Some struggling to make ends meet, some in the developed countries struggling to make human connections. We all have our sets of problems- doesn't matter where we are, we are all looking to find the perfect way to live this life. In our own limited ways, we try to make sense of what entails living a good life.

We all have different wants, have different triggers that make us happy. For some it might be having a successful career, for some, it could be love and family. But for most of us, it is all - we want it all. We are all under the illusion that tomorrow is the day we are going to be happy when we can relax. The problem is that we cannot have it all - at least most of us can't. We need to identify what are the precursors of our happy moods - what is it that we cannot live without. The key is to accept that what might make Ms. X happy will not necessary be the elixir for me. 

Recently someone had talked about how important it was for us to  be aspirational. Why professional success played a key role in our life. I totally agreed with the reasoning, but at the same time I had to admit, that the price that I had to pay for reaching a particular career goal was not something I was I willing to pay. For me,  retirement is important, but at the same time, I feel that we shouldn't postpone our happiness for tomorrow. Retirement implies quitting the present life. I understand that we all need to slow down with age, but quitting work, quitting your present way of life is a definite indicator that you are unhappy with your present situation. 

Life is not perfect, in fact, it is contradictorily ugly and beautiful. As my body ages and my mind starts to slow and in many ways rust, I am still looking for my calling  - something that will warm my old heart and soul.

In the meantime, I keep myself surrounded by people I love, balance need to things to survive with things that will keep me happy. Life is too short to focus on anything  that doesn't give you happiness. Enjoy the day to the best - after all who knows if there is going to be a tomorrow?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...