Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Healthy self-perception

Recently I have been hearing lot of "weight loss" buzzing around. We all struggle with our body image, be it our heights, our skin, hair and the never ending issue of weight and muscle. Is there any end to our quest to find the perfect body?  The other day, I was going out for a brisk walk and was feeling good about myself, till someone jogged past me - someone obviously older than me. Just when I was about to berate myself for not being fit enough, somebody else zoomed past me and the other person , making me smile for I realized there is no end to this.

Another incident that struck me was when a seemingly fit 87 year old woman was complaining about losing 5 more pounds and all I could think was Seriously ? She was walking, she was coherent, she was healthy, yet the obsession with weight and the numbers was all she could think of. Maybe she had lived to be that old, because of her obsession with  weight - maybe not. 

I am rattled  when a young mother talks proudly about how her two year old daughter  comments on mom  looking  fat - and that is to a woman who I am sure would be termed underweight by her doctor. This obsession with our body, especially weight and our unhealthy relationship with food bothers me. It upsets me that we are all expected to fit into a slot that is supposedly deemed to be healthy. When someone labels young girls as "fat", I am enraged, no one has the right to label you  - only your doctor and that too when you go to take advice. All our insecurities stem from irresponsible comments made by insensitive prigs. I remember being 6 years old and someone obviously "well-intentioned" advising my mom about using face packs to lighten my skin tone. I am 44 now , the words still haunt me and even now when I look in the mirror I see an ugly, dark girl .

I am all for healthy living, healthy eating, but we are all made differently. I would rather eat and be happy and live life and be who I am. I have learnt that there is always going to be someone slimmer, prettier, more intelligent, more successful than I am. But I have also learnt, that not everybody gets to live, not everybody gets to raise children, not everybody has all the limbs intact.

I am learning to accept my dark skin tone, learning to accept the body parts that I dislike - to let go and just be myself because  I know if I can't disentangle myself from all self -image issues, I will grow old never actually living. Give me an overweight , obese joyous being any day over a grumpy skinny and miserable being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...