Sunday, September 29, 2013

Letting go or holding on...

As my son is growing older and I know will be waiting to seek my advice on what to do next.  What do I tell him? Should I let him find his own way and make mistakes, or do I just let him lead his life borrowing lessons from my experiences?

Do I warn him of imminent heartbreaks and disappointments or just wait to catch him when he falls? 

Should I tell him that youth doesn't last for long - enjoy it or should I tell him that work hard for money doesn't last for ever  too? 

All these questions are troubling me. In many ways I want him to enjoy and explore the world before he gets ensnared into the worldly routine of making money to pay bills, yet I also know that if he works hard now, paying bills would definitely get easier later in life.

I realize that the time he invests in creating memories with friends will give him something to lean on, yet I also know that the same time he invests in creating his career will make life more comfortable for him.

Oh the perils and choices in parenting. Letting go, holding on, imparting our wisdom, or letting life teach them lessons, making choices for them or letting them choose and learn, the decisions are gut wrenching. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...