Sunday, November 4, 2018

Dispensable me

“Which of us can resist the temptation of being thought indispensable?” 
― Margaret Atwood
Last couple of months, I have been in a reflective mood -in plain words, been over-thinking, analyzing and in general trying to make sense of who I am. Now, this would be interesting and perfectly normal if I was a teenager but even for an introvert like me, this was a long stretch of time spent in introspection.You need to be by yourself, to quieten your thoughts to face the truths that you always knew to  be true but chose to ignore. Universal truths - facts - that we all know, accept yet somewhere in our subconsciousness hope that it is not true. For instance, Death is certain, yet we live like we are going to live for ever.

 On the same note, we might give the lip service of understanding that we are dispensable, but in our hearts hope that it is not the truth.

We are replaceable, in our jobs, in our relationships. Life goes on and will go on and as much as it hurts to accept this fact, it is the truth. Every time we are in relationship, every time we connect, we give a piece of ourselves, unknowingly hoping that it would make a lasting difference. Maybe the piece lives on as a fleeting memory, or a throbbing heartache or an inspiration. But that is the optimistic in me speaking.


Our inflated egos and our distorted versions of our importance make us believe that we are indispensable. Our friends, our families, our employers all need us. Yet the truth is that we are easily replaceable and it actually is hurtful to know how easily. Life is fluid, it is limitless. It is like the moving car and we are like that occasional  fly sitting on the glass window - enjoying the free ride, but  utterly insignificant. Fact is that when we are actually able to imbibe the universal truths, when they are not just pop culture positivity quote, we are liberated. All our hang-ups, all our plans, and above all, our egos and the fodder for it - our expectations from others, dissipate into thin air. I find myself oscillating between accepting the fleeting nature of my existence to just ignoring the fact that I am not the centre of universe.

The buddishts contemplate on death, our impermanence.Times when I am overwhelmed or find myself berating myself, I sit down and contemplate on these universal truths.  It is a good exercise if practiced with a good attitude to maintain clarity on the priorities in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of it all

The last couple of months have been surreal for most of us - and nightmare to many others. People have lost loved ones, lost their liveliho...